I am one proud mama today!! Yesterday we decided to get rid of her soothie (a pacifier) and let me tell you, I have been dreading this day. Sienna uses the soothie for sleeping only, but she LOVED it. She isn't attached to anything else...not a blanket, not a stuffed animal, nothing. We knew it needed to come to an end after her pediatrician said pacifiers are ok until 2 and then they should be taken away after that. Well, Sienna is about a month away from turning 2 and I really wanted to do it before I went back to work, so that her childcare didn't have to worry about it.
So, yesterday, I cut a tiny hole on the top of the soothie (when she wasn't looking of course) and when she went to grab it for nap, she put it in her mouth, took it back out, and looked at it with disgust. She tried again and took it out once more and shook her head "no." She pointed at the hole and said, "wassah?" (what's that?). I pretended like I had no clue how it got there and I talked about how big she is and that only babies needed soothies. As I went to lay her down, she seemed a little sad that her soothie didn't work, so I told her she could hold it with her hand instead of put it in her mouth. It totally worked! She went right to sleep!!
Then for bedtime last night, she did the same thing...she tried to put it in her mouth, didn't like it, so she held it instead...AND she slept the entire night without a peep!! This morning I made a HUGE deal about her being so big and not needing the soothie and she said, "Yeah, bye bye soothie."
She is currently napping and she didn't even take the soothie in there with her. Could this seriously had gone any better?? I am shocked! I know I'm only on day 2, but I thought it was going to be WAY harder. I had done some research about taking away pacifiers and many parents said cutting the hole worked perfectly. That way, the parents aren't taking away something from them...the kids just choose not to use it because it doesn't work properly. It becomes their choice to stop using it. I had never thought of that before and I love it!
Let's hope that things continue to go well from here on out!!!
![]() |
| As proud as I am, it makes me so sad knowing how fast she's growing up! |



1 comment:
those crossed legs with boots - man i love that little girl and her personal style! (just perfect!)
Post a Comment